Alan D. Hoffenberg, a founding partner has had a long and distinguished career in matrimonial law. After graduating from law school, Mr. Hoffenberg started his legal career doing litigation for a personal injury firm. Wanting to utilize his innate ability to communicate effectively with others to assist individuals and families in distress, he turned his attention to the specialized field of Matrimonial Law where he could combine his litigation and interpersonal skills into a fulfilling and rewarding family law practice.
His experience includes representing either party in a divorce action, ranging from the most basic to the very complex, including cases that involve high net worth individuals, large estates, numerous properties, substantial business holdings, detailed financial analysis, extensive discovery, forensic investigation, real estate appaisals, business valuations, awards of maintenance, child removal cases, as well as custody, visitation, and child support litigation.
Mr. Hoffenberg specializes in assisting clients to achieve the most favorable outcome in a divorce proceeding, whether by settlement or aggressive representation at trial. And while most cases ultimately settle, he maintains the realistic understanding that some cases cannot be settled. In these cases, he is a dynamic, experienced trial attorney that is prepared to bring a case to trial to present a client’s position in a forceful, yet professional manner.
Dedicating his career exclusively to the practice of Matrimonial Law for more than forty years has taught Mr. Hoffenberg a great deal regarding the ins and outs of the legal field known as Domestic Relations. Because of his vast experience in Family law, virtually nothing can escape his watchful eyes. Mr. Hoffenberg is uniquely qualified and has the skill, knowledge and experience to ensure the full protection of your legal rights. He will handle all matters with compassion and sensitivity to minimize the impact on you and your family.
Mr. Hoffenberg has spoken at numerous professional seminars and has been a guest lecturer at various colleges and universities throughout the country. He is an established author and has written many articles on the subjects of Matrimonial and Family Law.
Mr. Hoffenberg is admitted to the Illinois State Bar, United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois, United States Court of Appeals for the circuit Court and the United States Supreme Court.
Mr. Hoffenberg’s professional affiliations, both past and present, include the Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA), Chicago Bar Association (CBA), the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML), the American Bar Association (ABA), the International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (IAML), and the Lake County Bar Association (LCBA).
Mr. Hoffenberg has been an annual recipient of the Top Illinois Super Lawyers designation since its inception.
- John Marshall Law School, 1967
- Bradley University, 1963
- Illinois State Bar
- United States District Court
- Northern District of Illinois
- United States Court of Appeals for the circuit Court
- United States Supreme Court
- Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers; former member of the Board of Managers, Past President 1990-1991, Illinois Chapter, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers; Chicago Bar Association, Matrimonial Law
- Lecturer and contributing author, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, participant in various seminars for Chicago Bar Association, Illinois State Bar Association and the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers.
- A.A.M.L. – Past President – 1990-1991
- C.B.A. – Matrimonial Law Committee
Awards and Honors
- Illinois Super Lawyer (2006 – 2013)
Lectures & Seminars
- A.A.M.L. – 1985 – Cases for 1984
- C.B.A. – Matrimonial Law Committee – Expert Testimony in Dissolution of Marriage cases – 1983 – Child Custody
- A.A.M.L. – 1986 - Matrimonial Law Seminar – Maintenance
- A.A.M.L. – 1988 – Case Update
- I.S.B.A. – 1988 – Attorney Client Relations
- A.A.M.L. – 1989 – Case Update
- C.B.A. – 1989 – Removal (Relocation) Cases
- National A.A.M.L. – 1989 – Child Sexual Abuse Cases
- I.S.B.A. – 1989 – Attorney’s Fees
- Oklahoma Continuing Legal Education Seminar – Child Sexual Abuse – 1989.
- C.B.A. – 1989 – Maintenance
- A.A.M.L. – 1990 Exclusive Possessions and Domestic Violence Act.
- I.I.C.L.E. – Child Sexual Abuse – 1990
- I.I.C.L.E. – 1991 – Business Valuations
- I.I.C.L.E. – 1991 – Child Support Seminar
- C.B.A. – 1992 – Maintenance
- I.I.C.L.E. – 1992 – Discovery Procedures in Matrimonial Cases
- C.B.A. – Effective Litigation Tools for Maintenance Practice
- 1993 – ISBA – Eavesdropping in Matrimonial Cases.
- 1993 – North Suburban Bar Association and Chicago Bar Association – Illinois New Automatic Stay
- 1993 – IICLE – AAML – Effective use of Expert Witnesses in Matrimonial Cases.
- 1995 – Northwest Suburban Bar Association – Matrimonial Law in Illinois.
- 1998-1999, 2006-2008 Drafting Marital Settlement Agreement Workshop
- I.I.C.L.E. – Family Law II – 1978 – Section 72 Proceedings
- I.I.C.L.E. – Ill. – Family Law – Speaker Author – Effective Representation of Clients in Child Custody Matters
- A.A.M.L. – Speaker Author – Interstate Custody Disputes: UCCJA and PKPA